The technological determinists think that technology controls the progression of civilization. I don’t think this is altogether true, but I was enticed by the processes of the consideration of huge forces that control the way we evolve and live. While I think technology is just a piece of the puzzle (granted an extremely large piece), I do think these forces are at play. One such forces that I believe will constitute an ever growing puzzle piece is the environment.
A computer can change the way we think, work, and relax. The environment can make it impossible to make the computer in the first place. What happens when coal and oil are depleted to levels that make it impractical to use them to power the factories that make technology? In terms of determining factors, I think the environment trumps almost everything else. And as things get more intense, i.e. global warming, fresh water shortages, food shortages, depleted fisheries, smog, we will be forced to adapt our lives to deal with these problems. The only other option is embracing impending annihilation. And that brings up another great puzzle piece; the determining factor that is the super-powerful self-preservation instinct. I think we’ll be all right.
Here’s a great exercise in imagining what a world with out oil might look like-
http://worldwithoutoil.org/
Seth,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. In our last class discussion, the idea of the environment ctonrolling much of the technology process did creep into my mind. What if the environment made it impossible for this technology to exist? Would we really be okay? The video you found (which I watched) was very interesting and especially relevant. Thanks for sharing.