After reading several writings on the theory of technological determinism, I have decided that I don’t like it. The theory is ultimately reductionist. If someone out on the street asked me to explain this theory, I would say (in the spirit of reductionism), “Those people think that technology determines the course of history, that technology is the force that moves and shapes culture.” True, technology is one of the most significant factors, but it just doesn’t explain everything. When looking at this theory, I am reminded of the old allegory about the witnesses to the car accident. Each witness stands in a different stop and thus each witness has a different rendition of the accident; different according to who’s at fault, who hit who, when it happened– basically all major variables shift with each witnesses account. The technological determinists are represented by just one of the witnesses. The arrogance of the claim that they have figured a theory to explain history is astounding. To put this into perspective, consider the fact that Marx was a determinist. His arrogance was the driving force behind the establishment of the Soviet Union. How many people suffered unnecessarily because of this flawed theory?
While I, like Elull, believe it is important to recognize the power of technology to steer entire civilizations. But I also believe that much more holistic perspectives are possible. To overstate the impact of technology actually strips humans of their power and places that power in technology. This type of thinking further unbalances our culture and makes people feel even more helpless. And as I am striving for a philosophy of human empowerment, this is unacceptable to me. Thus, I say to the Techno Determinists, thanks for your insights. I will take the good, leave the ridiculous and reactionary and be on my way.
No comments:
Post a Comment