The study of the social impacts of technology can be demoralizing, depressing, and defeating. We’ve come so far so fast, that the forces of technology seem like forces of nature– unbending, unstoppable, massively powerful. It seems our digital culture says, get on board or risk complete irrelevance. I understand why so many people willingly, and often enthusiastically, go with the digital tide, wherever it may lead. What other choices are presented by society? No many, but they are out there. Neil Postman in “Technology: The Surrender of Culture to Technology” provides us with some concrete solutions. According to Postman, education is the solution to dealing with a digital culture that has run amok. Postman situates this education in schools. I agree with Postman wholeheartedly that education is the answer to the social problems created by technology, but I think that education can take place inside AND outside of schools. Furthermore, I think it needs to take place everywhere. What about all the people today who will never again see the inside of the classroom and are dealing with serious, technology driven issues?
So my question is, how can these people be helped? One answer I would like to explore is the development of an easily accessible philosophy that helps people make sense for themselves what is going on in the digital culture. If people could just be moved to evaluate their activities, I think we could begin to address our problems. I intend this blog to be a place where I experiment with ideas centered around the development of this philosophy.
No comments:
Post a Comment